Friday, May 13, 2011

What Is Your Definition?

What is your definition of beautiful?

Imagine one of five senses that God has blessed us with has been taken away: sight, smell, touch, hearing and taste. How does your definition change?

Sitting at a desk, headphones in, eyes closed, I listen to lyrics by The Ataris and meditate on the question. Life is only as good as the memories we make...I found a map to buried treasure and even if we come home empty handed well still have our stories of battle scars, pirate ships and wounded hearts,broken bones, [and all the best of friendships.]

When I was 16 and I first got my licence I was blasting this song with a few friends. Without paying attention to a green light turning yellow and soon red, I decided to floor it through the intersection. As my mustang gracefully soared through the air and our silence was disturbed by the tires slamming against the pavement,we all looked at each other in awe of the situation.

Pulling up in my truck, hoodie over my head, I looked beyond the picket fence at the moon light reflecting on the crashing waves. A scared little girl, lost and broken with no more answers, there was only one thing left to do. I met with someone whose near and dear to me, a woman full of radiating beauty, a friend that I trust with all my heart. With her I prayed and made a decision to let Christ be the leader of my life.

The sounds of Brother Iz play in the background: somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true. I politely smile because really, I am holding back tears of joy as I walked down the aisle to meet my prince charming. Starring madly and deeply in his eyes, I breakdown, overwhelmed with happiness and blessed feelings that I will be spending the rest of my life with my best friend, my husband.

Beautiful has many definitions. For me its the unforgettable memories created with the people I love deeply and the memories our future still holds. Its the relationship made and nurtured through the years and the characteristics possessed that are beautiful to me. It the ability to take a split second of time and hold it forever as a reminder of this precious life we've been given, a gift from God.
So let me ask you, what does your definition look like?
(I'd be curious to hear from each of you in the comments below)

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Beautiful to me is watching someone grow closer and closer to the Lord and realize their need for nothing in this world but Him. It is the understanding that so much of life promises to fill a void in our lives, but in the end only Christ fills that void to overflowing. Beautiful is so many things to me, but it is ultimately a picture of eternal life with our Heavenly Father, not deserved, but received by grace and from the most ultimate sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete